Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"[...]preparation for a life of giving myself away, preparation for a process of schooling in which I was to give myself away to teachers, in preparation for a life of wage slavery, when I was to give myself away to the highest (monetary) bidder. I was similarly prepared to give myself away in personal relationships. The idea was that I should give myself away to those who held power over me until I had nothing left to give[...]
This is what is expected of all of us. This is what is expected of the world, that it give to those in power til it has nothing else to give[...]
But do we need to live like this? Do we need these masters? Do we need to give ourselves away to those who do not hold our best interest at heart, and do we need to allow them to hollow us out and hollow out the places we love?"

--endgame volume 1: the problem with civilization by derrick jensen (p191)

No comments: